March 2, 2009
Mitsu's take on a traditional Moussaka. You can also add veggie mince to this recipe and therefore would need to decrease the amount of vegetables used.
- Tinned tomato
- 1 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 1 tbsp vegan Worcester sauce
- 2 tsp mixed herbs
- 60g margarine
- 30g plain flour
- 425ml milk
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
- 2 small red onions
- 1 large carrot
- 1 red pepper
- 2 handfuls spinach
- 1/2 courgette
- 3 medium aubergines
- handful cherry tomatoes
- Step 1 Pre-heat oven to 200ºC.
- Step 2 Slice the aubergine , cover with salt and leave for 30 minutes.
- Step 3 Rinse off salt off the aubergines and lay in baking tray, drizzle with oil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Step 4 Chop and fry the vegetables, add cherry tomatoes, tinned tomatoes, ketchup, worcestor sauce and mixed herbs.
- Step 5 In a seperate pan combine and heat the margarine, flour, milk and nutritonal yeast for the white sauce stir continuously till boiling, it should have a constitency thicker than water. If it’s too thick add more ‘milk’ if too thin add more flour.
- Step 6 Layer the vegetables, aubergine and white sauce, finishing with the white sauce.
- Step 7 Bake at 200 degrees for 20 minutes. Serve with white crusty bread.