22nd October 2009
A wise woman (aka Mother) once said: “The lion is very significant in Buddhism, he is the king of all animals. He has strength, courage and a fearless character. Although afraid of no other creatures he is prudent, approaching smaller creatures cautiously with three steps forward and one step back – then pouncing.”
I obviously jumped at the chance when I was asked if I would like to make cupcakes for SGI‘s Young Mens Division meeting or should I say ‘cub’ cakes. Each cake was to have a lion’s paw print on it and I was also going to be contributing to the vegan gluten free offerings.
Since I have only just started using gluten free flour, it was a good opportunity to try out a new flavour. I tried just doing a basic plain chocolate one but in the end I added banana since I was finding the gluten free flour very crumbly in the finshed cakes.
Chocolate Banana Gluten Free Cupcakes
- 3/4 cup ‘milk’
- 1 tsp cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 oil
- 1 banana
- 1 cup wheat and gluten free flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 165ºC , line baking tray with cases.
- Sift all the dry ingredients together.
- Add the vinegar to the milk. Mash the banana and add along with the oil and sugar.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet. Mix and pour into the cases.
- Sprinkle some on some chocolate chips before putting in the oven and baking for 20 mins.
- Here I used a glace icing to make the footprints but if I could have I would have gone for some yummy buttercream swirls.
All the cake are being made by volunteers and out of the 1000 cupcakes being made 100 of them are vegan.
Hope it all goes well and the cupcakes hit the spot!