Jo's Vegan Sausage & Bean Casserole
October 25, 2009
This recipe was submitted by Jo at http://www.concretetocanvas.co.uk/
- 2 Medium Onions sliced
- Pack Redwood Vegi Deli Lincolnshire Style sausages
- 1 carrot, sliced
- Pack/250g mushrooms, sliced
- 4 small-medium sweet potatoes, chopped into chunks
- Tin of baked beans
- 2 tins of chopped tomatoes
- Tin of Butter beans, rinsed
- About half a tube of tomato puree
- vegetable stock cube/granules in a half pint of boiling water
- Vegan Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 Tsps mixed herbs
- Tsp dried Sage – if not included in the mixed herbs
- 1 bay leaf.
- Vegetable gravy granules as needed
- Step 1 Halve and slice the onions and fry gently in Olive oil until golden brown.
- Step 2 Add the sausages to fry on each side for a few mins.
- Step 3 Add the chopped mushrooms and carrots and sweat for a few mins.
- Step 4 Add the chunky sweet potato, the tinned tomatos, baked beans, puree, dried herbs, about 3 good dashes of Vegan Worcestershire Sauce and just enough stock (about 1/2 – 3/4 pint) to cover the veg.
- Step 5 Add the rinsed butter beans and a bay leaf and stir it all together well.
- Step 6 Bring to a good simmer then cook gently until the veg is soft. I like the tomato sauce to be nice and thick so when everything’s cooked I add a couple of tsps of veggie gravy granules and cook for a bit longer with the lid off which thickens the sauce up a treat. It’s pretty rich but really tasty!
- Step 7 We have it with warmed crusty bread. You could add any root veg you liked really and any beans of your choice. Flageolet beans work really nice in there too. I’ve also tried it with chunks of smoked tofu cooked in place of the sausages which is just as nice.