October 28, 2012
Don't throw away the inards of your pumpkin you are carving for Halloween, eat them!
- 2 litres of vegetable stock (you may need more or less than this depending on the rice/how al dente you like your rice)
- 63 g margarine
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 dried chillies finely chopped
- 300g pumpkin, skin removed and chopped finely
- 500g risotto rice
- 100g spinach torn into pieces
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh sage
- Step 1 Pour the stock into a pan and keep at a gentle simmer.
- Step 2 Melt the margarine in a large pan and add the onions, cook gently for 10 minutes.
- Step 3 Add the chilli and cook for 1 minute.
- Step 4 Add the pumpkin and stir constantly for 5 minutes till it starts to soften.
- Step 5 Stir in the rice till it’s coated in the pumpkin, cook for a couple of minutes to toast the rice.
- Step 6 Begin adding the stock a ladle at a time, stirring until the stock is absorbed. Keep repeating this until all the stock is used or the rice is cooked to your preference.
- Step 7 About 5 minutes before the end, add the spinach and the sage and mix through.