SAUSAGE AND MASH PIE
November 1, 2012
This recipe was sponsored by Fry's Family Food
- 750g potatoes
- 50ml milk
- 25g margarine
- 70g vegan blue cheese (I used Vegusto No-Moo Classic, Sheese and Cheezly also have alternatives)
- 4 – 6 Fry’s sausages (I used the Braai flavour country herb), thickly sliced which is very easy to do when still frozen
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 3 carrots, thickly sliced
- 1 tsp dried mixed herbs
- 250g mushrooms, quartered
- 200ml vegan red wine
- 150ml vegetable stock
- Step 1 Put the potatoes on to boil for about 15 minutes, when cooked add the milk and spread and get mashing (no lumps please!). Once lump free add the vegan blue cheese but make sure the potatoes are still hot when you do this as the cheese will combine with the mash better. The ‘cheese’ gives the mash a creamier flavour but you can leave this out.
- Step 2 Whilst you’re waiting for the potatoes to boil you can fry the onions and carrots in a pan, till the onions are soft.
- Step 3 Preheat your oven to 180C.
- Step 4 To the onoins and carrots add the mushrooms and herbs and fry further till the mushrooms are cooked.
- Step 5 Turn up the heat under the pan, then add the wine and reduce by half.
- Step 6 Add the stock, once the carrots are cooked through you can add the sausages and mix them in.
- Step 7 The mixture can then be spooned into a baking dish or pan and covered with the mashed potato. I used a piping bag with a fat tip to do this, but you could just splodge this on with a spoon, and then smooth it over so you have an evenish top.
- Step 8 Pop the pie in the oven and bake for 30 minutes, keep an eye on the mash you want it to be golden on the top not burnt!
- Step 9 Serve with steamed greens like broccoli and spinach or good old baked beans.