Mushroom Vol Au Vent
Imagine our excitement when we discovered that vegan ready made puff pastry is available! This recipe has two versions that can be made using mushrooms, but use your imagination and think up some other fillings.
- 500g Jus Roll puff pastry (or any other suitable brand)
- 750g mushrooms
- 1 onion
- 2 tsps Bisto
- 1 tsp flour
- boiling water
- or instead of the Bisto use vegan cream cheese
- Pre-heat oven to 220ºC.
- Divide pastry into two. Roll each portion out on lightly floured surface to an 8 inch square.
- Mark a square 1 inch from the edge cutting halfway through the pastry.
- Score the top in a diagonal pattern and place on a baking sheet and bake for 35 minutes.
- Take out of the oven and cut out the central square from each, discard the soft pastry inside leaving the base intact. Return to the oven with the squares for 10 minutes.
- Stir fry the onion and mushrooms till soft. Add the Bisto, flour and water to make a thick sauce, or use a couple of tbsps of vegan cream cheese instead of the Bisto for a more creamy sauce. Remove the cases from the oven and pile the mushroom mixture in topping with the lids.
Tags: Mushroom Vol Au Vent